Wednesday 25 November 2015

Kilbride Army Range Walk

As soon as we got out of the car we knew it would be an amazing day in the mountains.

We geared up and got ready for the day ahead, all of a sudden I heard this awful noise, the loud engine of Quads and Dirtbikes.


Don't get me started on Quads and Dirtbikes I hate the things, not only because of how dangerous they are but because of the horrible scar they leave in the mountains.

Never the less we got ready and left the car, I was so happy, mainly because I was stuck indoors for the last few weeks and the dreaded cabin fever was among me.

We started to climb up Seefin, 620m our first climb of four that day, the whole track up was destroyed, tyre tracks and deep puddles dug by Dirtbikes and Quads.


Nevertheless we carried on to the summit of Seefin. At the peak there is an ancient tomb for a cairn, you can crawl in and have a look. (Don't worry there is no human remains)


After a quick look in the tomb we headed for our second target for the day, Seefingan, 722m of pure magic, as we ascended we started to see the effects of the recent cold weather.

The bog was strangely solid, as it was frozen and most running water was transformed over night into amazing icicles.


We reached the top shortly after, there was no way I was taking any photos, the air bit my cheeks, it was so cold, we got down as soon as we could.

As we got down to the col we started to get spectacular views of Dublin City and the surrounding scenery, we also got a glimpse of the army camp.


We stopped for a bite to eat in the Col, we sheltered in a peat hag, we soon after got cold so we struck out for our objective number three Corrig.

Corrig is only 617m but it's definitely worth doing, it was the first top of the day on which we got a view, at the top you can see the whole City of Dublin.


Our walk was nearing an end... But wait there there is one more top to go! Seahan 647m, a short but wonderful hill, unfortunately I couldn't get a picture from the top as there was a big group on the summit.

After a short decent we made out way to the road, it was here I saw the group of bikers that were making such a racket!


On another note I got this great shot of an old car.... Could anyone tell me what it is?


We then made our way back to the car, with my Cabin Fever cured I could now go home.

Thanks for Reading!

-Altitude Aaron 

No comments:

Post a Comment